LINCOLN - Firefighters battled icy conditions in an unsuccessful attempt to save a two-car garage on Transalpine Road from the ravages of a fire late Tuesday that did about $45,000 in damage.
Also taking with it a pickup truck and a car parked in the garage, the fire at 316 Transalpine Road appeared to start in or near a wood stove, as one of the homeowners was working on the pickup truck just prior to the fire, Fire Chief Phil Dawson said.
The fire was severe enough to melt the vinyl siding on the side of a nearby home, Dawson said. No one was injured.
“It was about 6 to 8 degrees [Fahrenheit] and very icy out there,” Dawson said Wednesday. “It had all potential of being an injury-producing night but we managed to avoid that.”