Sisters and Brothers,
The cancer epidemic is leaving its mark on families all over Maine, but firefighters are getting hit even harder than most.
Firefighters are getting cancer at alarming rates -- sometimes more than DOUBLE the cancer rates in the general public.
Strong science has linked many of the chemical “flame retardants” firefighters are exposed to on the job with multiple types of cancer.
Right now, we have the chance to get these dangerous chemicals out of Maine furniture and protect hundreds of firefighters and the citizens of Maine. BUT WE NEED YOUR HELP.
Please take a minute to fill out this form sending an email asking Legislative Committee Members to support LD 182 today! The bill would eliminate the use of toxic flame-retardants from new residential upholstered furniture. We know these carcinogenic chemicals have no proven life safety benefit in this setting and can harm firefighters when they burn and in the homes of our families when they off gas.
Click here: https://actionnetwork.org/letters/fight-firefighter-cancer
Once you have taken action, please forward or share this link with your fellow fire fighters, family and friends.
Feel free to contact John Martell, President of the Professional Fire Fighters of Maine (PFFM) if you have any questions. His e-mail is email@example.com